Thursday, August 2, 2012

When fate and dreams collide


"If you hold tight, shadows will be lost in the light.
Oh cos sometimes, fate and your dreams will collide."


That was an excerpt from 'Joe Brooks- Holes Inside' that made me think deeply, swirling in my own imagination and swimming in my own thoughts as the traffic moves slowly forward, something that I have been accustomed to accept since I started interning.


As I was listening (besides lip synching / karaoke-ing XD) to this song this morning while hurdling my way to work, a thought occurs...of how things has been going on with me in these past two to three years...


*banyak memikir time dalam kete ye?*


Yelah, it has been established since that this is the space that I spend thinking critically about the things revolving around me, of current issues (especially local political scene), family, friends, relationships,  etc.


I am interested in the line "Oh 'cos sometimes, fate and your dreams will collide" and I find it to be true in my case, particularly in what I aspired to be and sometimes in relationships, too. #trueStory.


See...the thing is, what I am doing right now ; majoring in English whilst minoring in science (that's beside the point) is a far cry from my initial dream of pursuing a medical degree during my high school years.


Yeah sure, almost everyone's dream back then in high school generally revolves around aspiring to be an engineer or a doctor. It's like a state of mind back then, that the ONLY things that you ought to do to become successful in the worldly aspect ( read: duniawi) were to choose between one of these fields.

*of course now when I'm here after getting more exposure, we can also be successful and rich in other fields too* 


But for me, it's a different case indeed. Back then, I aspired to pursue a medical degree partly due to my heritage, besides the lure of fat paycheck that I could possibly earn every month.


Okay, fair enough...


But how does it relate to my heritage?


Being a doctor has been like a 'thing' or tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation in the Low (read: Lau) family, from my great-grandparent, grandfather and to my uncle...it is considered as a tradition for a male member of the Low family to become a doctor. 


Well, as a male grandson and being the first one, I broke the tradition. T.T 


At first, I was devastated honestly, 'cos I could not made it. But then, a sudden realisation hit me like a brick.


I talked to my koong koong (grandfather) of this shattered dream and was terribly sorry that I couldn't make it into medicine. He reciprocated by telling me the life of a doctor isn't that how you'd say, enjoyable...he had to sacrifice his time for family to work, and surprisingly they have never gone on a single holiday as family due to his busyness back then. 


So, that was it. I can still continue the dream of being a doctor though, but a philosophical one la (Phd) - jadi lecturer, or anything. Not bad, good pay also. It means that I'll have to further my study lorh. Let's pray that I will be able to do it. Amin. 


So, what's the point here? 


The message is, whatever the person that you turn out to be, it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy being in that position and at the same time you could invest some time in this very short life that we are in to become a better person (a better Muslim in my case) so that we could prepare ourselves for the afterlife, Insya Allah.


Which one would you choose? 
May everything goes well as I am trod this so-called "Road Not Taken". 


Ends. 





No comments:

Post a Comment